Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice plox!

+6
Laatikkomafia
daddlar
we_just_dinged_em
Ozymandias
skudakoi
Shawny
10 posters

Go down

Advice plox! Empty Advice plox!

Post by Shawny Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:03 am

So! I'm at a crossroads here.. I've got no fucking idea what the hell to go for.. Angry 

VK 30.02 (D), T20, Cromwell, A-44, M6, Pz.Kpfw. VI Tiger, IS-3, T25/2 or SU-100. That's about what my next tanks down the line are.. I pretty much just need the exp for the tank research itself to unlock one of these. T20, M6 and SU-100 play A LOT like the previous tanks so I don't know if I can be bothered to play them atm... But I'm really wondering what the hell to play here.. ><
Any advice, good things/bad things about tanks and such? =O
Shawny
Shawny
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Advice plox! Empty Re: Advice plox!

Post by skudakoi Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:44 am

I can't comment on the other tanks, but I have just taken the SU-100 myself, so can speak from experience.

It's a cracking tank, even more so when you've managed to grind up to the derp cannons (100mm and 122mm)  I'm sure most would say go for the 122mm but there is still a descent argument to use the 100mm, namely the higher rate of fire, but with GLD, the 122mm becomes much more attractive, especially as it has a 30% upgrae on the damage. 
The view range is still a respectable 350 with a closed top, and the radio from SU-85B is 525, so not too bat there either.

I really like it as a TD, not the most mobile, but can pack a rather nice punch, so if you like bush camping, and sniping, it's a deffinate keeper (for me it is anyways).

I will leave it to the others to put the argument forward for the othe tanks Smile
skudakoi
skudakoi
Webmaster
Webmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozymandias Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:49 am

If you want an actual informed answer, you should provide more information. As in, what is your playstyle, what types of tenks you play and enjoy, that sort of thing. But a quick personal evaluation of those you mention here.

3002D: Haven't touched ergo I have no opinion.

T20: An excellent med if you like that type of tank, the stock grind is rather bad though. Also I wouldn't recommend it unless you've already unlocked the 90mm from the M6.

Cromwell: One of the best tier 6 meds (if not the best). Ferrari speed, decent gun depression, great RoF and pen for its tier. Rather easy stock grind, especially if you've gone through the UK heavy line and have unlocked the top gun through the Churchill I. The armour is nonexistent though.

A-44: NO!!! Stay the heck away from it.

M6: Initially is a T1 Heavy thrown into tier 6 which is not great. When elited though and fitted with the 90mm gun, it's a pretty frickin' nice tank.

Tiger H: It was good even before the RoF buff. I assume it's even better now but you'd better know how to angle. Again however it's one hell of a bad stock grind.

IS-3: The most foolproof tier 8 heavy. Not the best (the AMX 50 100 has a higher performance potential) but a very forgiving tank to play. Recommended. Keep in mind though that until you research the BL-9 gun, you have not glimpsed the true capabilities of the vehicle. And remember not to angle a pike nose tank.

T25/2: While it's not terribad, there's nothing to recommend it. The gun especially is a very sore point and the turret does not quite offset the low pen and dpm.

SU-100: Skud's feedback is right on the money. Before the 8.6 accuracy buff I opted for the 100mm as the 122mm's tendency to miss trolled me hard. At this point however I assume the 122 is the better choice.
Ozymandias
Ozymandias
Pink Fluffy Bunny
Pink Fluffy Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Shawny Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:13 am

As for playstyle and such, changes for tank I play. And the tanks listed are what I enjoy playing. =p 3002D, T20, M6 and Su-100 as I said, play A LOT like the previous tanks, so unless I get some overwhelming good feedback on them, those aren't what I'll be headed for.. As for the A-44, why not? What's the problem with it? What I've seen and heard is that it's a friggin' great tank if you can angle and sidescrape. Also, from what I've understood(and experienced) it's the A-43 you gotta be careful of driving =P
Shawny
Shawny
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by we_just_dinged_em Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:33 am

The SU100 is an epic tier 6 TD. With gold ammo you are a serious threat to any Tier 8.

My advice; don't use anything but the 122mm, but thats just me.

we_just_dinged_em
Clan Commander
Clan Commander

Location : In your house, rummaging in your wifes knicker drawer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozymandias Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:49 am

Shawny wrote:As for playstyle and such, changes for tank I play. And the tanks listed are what I enjoy playing. =p 3002D, T20, M6 and Su-100 as I said, play A LOT like the previous tanks, so unless I get some overwhelming good feedback on them, those aren't what I'll be headed for.. As for the A-44, why not? What's the problem with it? What I've seen and heard is that it's a friggin' great tank if you can angle and sidescrape. Also, from what I've understood(and experienced) it's the A-43 you gotta be careful of driving =P
I would disagree as to the T20 and M6 playing a lot like the previous tanks. Their predecessors are both RoF based while they are alpha based. That's a pretty important distinction in my opinion. Same thing for the SU-100 if you use the 122mm but since both TD's are stealth based, the similarities are more pronounced. Can't judge the 3002D as I said.

Now as to the A-44. I've found the A-43 to be a frickin' great medium with the only thing actually gimping it being the bad gun depression. It's far more survivable than any of its peers, still n all it's a med and not a heavy so you always gotta be careful. The A-44 though is a damn different bag of sh...I mean beans. Look up the armour model and you'll find that the 150mm in the front is a lie (t's located only on 2 very narrow strips). To make it worse EVERY (and I mean EVERY) penetrating shot in the front destroys or at best damages the engine. Sure the rear mounted turret aids sidescraping but in my experience the turret is one big weakspot, even if you don't bother aiming for the ridiculously huge cupola. And remember, sidescraping is not a tactic that's viable on every game or in any location. While the pen of the top gun is good, the aimtime really kills it; also the depression is even worse than what it was on the A-43 which seriously impedes trying to play it as a traditional flanking medium, despite the good mobility.

A med that can only be remotely effective in TD mode is simply not a good tank as far as I'm concerned. And I find it weird that you seem to be receiving such positive feedback for it. Everyone I've spoken to that has played it curses the day he had to go through it. But as always, YMMV.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the fact that the A-44 is so low might aid in camo but it also tends to negate the angle of the frontal armour if a tank shoots at it from above. All in all, I've found that frontal armour to be unreliable as hell.
Ozymandias
Ozymandias
Pink Fluffy Bunny
Pink Fluffy Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by daddlar Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:09 am

VK3002D:

Medium brute. Agile brawler. 40 tons, decent speed, acceptable mobility. On paper it's "crap"? With the 88s DPM, tanks brutal momentum, some excessive hypnotic angling it can truly brutalize the powerless victims. It can ram stuff like no other T7 medium and the reload allows for opportunistic shooting. It belongs on the frontline if mounting the 88.

In comparison it's about as mobile as the T20 but the VK do have some effective armour.

daddlar
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Shawny Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Most of what I'm talking about with the A-44 is based on what little I've played it from the test server and watched others play it, but yeah, I'm not trying to make it sound like a good tank. 'cause it's not. =p But I've had a different experience with the A-43, but I'm figuring out how to play it proper. Anyways, atm I think the choice is tipping between the IS-3, VK3002D and the Tiger honestly.
Shawny
Shawny
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozymandias Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:28 am

daddlar wrote:VK3002D:

Medium brute. Agile brawler. 40 tons, decent speed, acceptable mobility. On paper it's "crap"? With the 88s DPM, tanks brutal momentum, some excessive hypnotic angling it can truly brutalize the powerless victims. It can ram stuff like no other T7 medium and the reload allows for opportunistic shooting. It belongs on the frontline if mounting the 88.

In comparison it's about as mobile as the T20 but the VK do have some effective armour.
I've seen dadd use it. In capable hands it performs very well. I'd listen to his feedback as he knows what he's talking about.
Ozymandias
Ozymandias
Pink Fluffy Bunny
Pink Fluffy Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Shawny Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:39 am

We'll see what happens, thanks for the input though.. However, I've decided I won't be playing the game at all without platoon etc.. 'cause I'm getting sick and tired of the retards around. ^^
Shawny
Shawny
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by daddlar Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
daddlar wrote:VK3002D:

I've seen dadd use it. In capable hands it performs very well. I'd listen to his feedback as he knows what he's talking about.
I don't know what I'm talking about. I rarely do. Don't listen to me! I'm only trying to give a biased description of a tank I like a lot.

Most players might find the VK30.02D a big disappointment, being alot more sluggish than the tier 6 in this techtree line and having weak gun selection fighting against t9 tanks. russian roulette

Have a replay with it being solo bottom tier tank. Watch it rape the Chinese counterpart.

And one in top tier platoon. Leading the charge! On Komarin the camping team lose.

daddlar
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Laatikkomafia Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:44 pm

SU-100.

To be honest, it is a bit meh tank. It can be ammo racked frontally, and it tends to lose the gunner too. The frontal armor is not that thick to begin with.

I'd say grind the tank with the 100mm gun, as the 122mm has expensive shells, and the tendency to miss. And you can not use the 122mm on the higher tier ones either.

Go with camo net, vents, rammer, and snipe. Even though 0.4 acc doesn't seem that good, it is the more accurate one of the two.
Laatikkomafia
Laatikkomafia
Company Commander
Company Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by path64 Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:57 pm

Shawny wrote:Most of what I'm talking about with the A-44 is based on what little I've played it from the test server and watched others play it, but yeah, I'm not trying to make it sound like a good tank. 'cause it's not. =p But I've had a different experience with the A-43, but I'm figuring out how to play it proper. Anyways, atm I think the choice is tipping between the IS-3, VK3002D and the Tiger honestly.
I also love the Vk3002D with the 88 carry 15 prem rounds for high tier emergency use Dadd's description pretty much sums it up, it was my most winning med until my recent 34-85 acquisition.  Tiger and IS3 are also good but I prefer meds personally.

path64
Company Commander
Company Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by diavolo_rosso Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:33 am

Laatikkomafia wrote:SU-100.

To be honest, it is a bit meh tank. It can be ammo racked frontally, and it tends to lose the gunner too. The frontal armor is not that thick to begin with.

I'd say grind the tank with the 100mm gun, as the 122mm has expensive shells, and the tendency to miss. And you can not use the 122mm on the higher tier ones either.

Go with camo net, vents, rammer, and snipe. Even though 0.4 acc doesn't seem that good, it is the more accurate one of the two.
i'm on the SU-100 and agree with Laati (i'm only going with the 100mm)
i've also just unlocked the T20 bit haven't got the 90mm as i went through the easy8 not the M6, i think i'll save up a bit of free xp to help it along...
diavolo_rosso
diavolo_rosso
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Vladivar Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:25 am

In general, i'm not a great enthusiast of medium tanks, however, the Cromwell is just brilliant and I highly recommend getting one.

Vladivar
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by TNTGibbon Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:32 am

Disclaimer. Tiger was first ever heavy. I do better in the IS. I only have a 54-55% win rate and 450ish games in it from april. It's still in my garage with perma camo.

Turret rotation now slow. Reminds me of a hellcat. RoF buff is just great. I suck and still do dumb things but when my brain is working and I use terrain, cover and sidescraping properly it is great. If you save your hp pool till the end you can cause huge pain. 400 hp vs 1500. Happy days.
Optics replaced vents in my set up, getting more spots and first shots in without noticing the drop in RoF. Considering dropping BIA now.

You're probably a better player than me and if so may find the lack of mobility frustrating.

Other than that, the fact it used to be regarded as UP made it a favourite of mine.

TNTGibbon
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum